Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Amazing Food In Thailand

Posted by Adam

If you've never had the pleasure to eat a meal in Thailand, then you don't know what your missing. There is some great (and not so great) food here. I'll start with the good stuff. Of course there is Pad Thai, my favorite is the one we made at the cooking class. Another personal favorite is the grilled, skewered meat sold at street vendor stalls. The Thai treats are pretty weird, but some of them are surprisingly good. When we were at a street market, bags of green jelly cubes caught my eye.
When I took my first bite, they squished around my mouth like jello. There were also some great dinners. I loved them all, but one stood out to me the most. It was the giant buffet. When we walked into the open air restaurant we saw a sea of green chairs and Thais.Each occupied table had a platform with embers on it. Above that was a metal dish with high edges and a raised center. The low outside was filled with water and the center was dry.People were grilling meat, seafood, and veggies in the center and poaching everything that the buffet had to offer in the water. I walked up to the buffet and piled my two small plates with french fries, Thai chips, fried chicken, many kinds of raw chicken, raw beef, and pork. I grilled and poached the raw stuff and so did the rest of my family. With all of our things put together we had a great meal. Aside from meat, sea food, and veggies, there were noodles and tons of Thai desserts. That was my favorite dinner of all! A lot of Thai restaurants serve western food. Here are some great dishes. Burgers! I have had three burgers so far and they all taste like home. We went to a restaurant down the street from our hotel and ordered some amazing pizza and pasta. Our hotel has a great American breakfast buffet. It has eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes, french toast, and fruit.

I may have made western food sound great, but there were definitely some failed attempts. The one that I hated most was the Thai enchiladas or "thaichiladas" as my family calls them. They were like Chinese chicken and some kind of red, sweet sauce wrapped in a bready tortilla topped with a slice of the Thai style American cheese. I also hated the "thaichetta", which was supposed to be bruschetta. It was a baguette cut in half, each half topped with three tomatoes, somewhere around ten slices of garlic, and that cheese that seems to be everywhere. When I was ordering the thaichiladas my sister ordered some pizza. It was pretty good except for the tomato sauce. It was ketchup. I have noticed that if we have a ketchup bottle as part of the condiments, it says tomato sauce on the bottle. The last funny thing is the misspellings. When we were walking down the street, I saw a restaurant that was advertising their wood fried pizza. As we walked further down, I saw another restaurant that had wood fired pizza. There was also a restaurant that had noobles and moobles, but no noodles. So for a summary, Thai food is good in Thailand, but if you're ordering western food you're taking your chances.

1 comment:

  1. I would take Pad Thai any time over thaichetta or ketchup pizza, blah!

    It is raining pretty hard here in Marin County, enjoy the sunshine!

    Love to all!

    ReplyDelete