Tuesday, January 18, 2011

On the Road as a Family - Chapter 1



Posted by Michael. Koh Lanta, Thailand, 8AM

It’s been near 1 week since we departed, which means we’re that far into “getting into the groove” of traveling as a family – if there really is such a thing. There are certainly moments when I wonder, but my role in all this includes instigating it all, envisioning the “high side” and helping us move out of the inevitable ruts and into as many sweet moments as possible. No – this is not a holiday (tho t times it is). Yes, it can be a challenge – creating a routine and lifestyle that promotes safety, wellness, harmony and learning. What I can say with even more confidence is that this trip will become part of our family’s fabric – and I believe that will be a marvelous thing.

I traveled mostly Asia for 1 year on the cheap back in ’90 (and Jeanne joined me the last 4 months – while we were dating – and we lived happily ever after… Ooops. Wrong tape!) I know what that groove felt like. Being self-responsible and self reliant on the road is one thing – being parents and operating as a family team iwith disparate appetites, tolerances and interests is a whole other kettle of fish sauce. Let me set the record straight – I never for a moment expected family travel to replicate the unencumbered fluidity of solo travel, but for sure there’s a part of me that wishes it did.

So what’s it like? I’ll start by thanking Buddha or Allah (depending on which side of the street you’re on here in Krabi province) that Adam and Kira have the temperaments and dispositions they have. They’re great travelers who can handle long journey times with more ease than most. I can easily imagine a much rockier boat with another pair of juvenile personalities. I think we’re acclimating to the travel lifestyle pretty well and doing GREAT as a unit, bt we’ve had a few moments already. Here’s a little snapshot of how it’s going s far:

  • Possessions – My ideal is for each of us to be responsible for our own. This means each of us carry, wash, care for & don’t lose all of our own things. Plus Jeanne & I are responsible for community possessions (computers, first aid, important papers, etc.) Obviously this is a high bar that will take time to attain. We’re on our way – kids have washed some of their clothes, carried/moved their packs at times, and more – but M&J have been picking up quite a bit of slack. And I’m not proud to say I’m the biggest failure to date as I’ve already lost 2 valued possessions after a few long days (prescription swim goggles & pack towel) so who am I to talk?
  • Food – Obviously, the food is different than we’re used to, but we’ve adapted pretty darn fast. Adam was already an adventurous eater- so he’s in Pad Thai heaven (as are J & I.) Kira has always had a far more limited range – but she has bucked up and tried several things, a few of which she’s discovered she likes. On a side note, A & K had their first local attempts at Western food yesterday: Adam’s chicken enchilada tasted more Italian than Mexican (he said “yuck”), and Kira’s pizza seemed to use ketchup instead of tomato sauce (she said “pretty good”.) We Marin parents aren’t OK w/picky eaters to live on plain white rice, fruit and banana/chocolate pancakes alone.
  • Health – Skin health is our nemesis so far; mostly mosquito bites but also jelly fish stings. Seems the younger they are the sweeter their meat - so A&K are welt ridden. Worst are bites on the feet, which made walking very uncomfortable for both kids today. There’s always swimming… While on the health subject, sleeping when there’s 4 to a room isn’t always so easy either but we’re finding our rythym with this too. While on that subject – “family rooms” which accommodate 4 are fairly scarce, creating another “family flow” challenge when locating where to stay. We can default to 2 rooms when needed, but its not preferred.

There’s lots more to share: schoolwork, 24-7 togetherness, deciding where to go next, how many treats the kids get when, who gets which email device when, do we allow ice in those smoothie drinks, who sits where, and more. But I’ll table that since dinner is about to arrive – more to come.

In summary, were doing pretty well. I’d estimate we’ve been at least 80% upbeat to 20% or less downbeat - pretty great considering what we’ve put ourselves through so far. I’m optimistic, boy am I excited and optimistic – but then again, that’s my job here…

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michael and all,
    Loving your posts! The kids' are so illuminating: of course, focusing on the high points and special "doings." Thank you, Michael, for writing about the challenges, too - makes me feel slightly less inadequate as I reflect on our family travels abroad.
    Much love, Andie

    ReplyDelete